Sunday 9 December 2018

Mary's Song

And Mary said, 
“My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, according to the promise he made to our ancestors, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.” 
(Luke 1: 46 - 55) 


In my wonderings about an uncertain future
Looking out on a world I’m not sure I understand
In the midst of fears and questions
There is yet a space for praise.

This Spirit, my spirit, 
The depths of my being 
Here where the spirit lives 
Here where the spirit dances 
I rejoice 
A light which flickers but refuses to be extinguished 
A hope which teeters but refuses to give up
A life which dares believe in the eternal 
A life 
Caught once, perhaps, 
In the passing interest of a camera flash 
Then cut adrift 
In the hidden depths of yesterday’s news 
No space for these forgotten ones
In the world’s bright spotlights
Which circle,
Seeking glamour, wealth and fame. 
But here am I, bathed in light 
Which shines from this 
A tender look of love 
A glance of God 
And while harsh bright lights move on
Leaving behind
The jagged edges of unfulfilled dreams
And unsatisfied desires 
This tender glow, glows on 
And the glance of love will linger 
With a warmth that invades the soul 
This gift of God
A blessing freely given
For this and every moment
Eternity encompassing today. 
This is our God 
Whose gaze digs deep 
Beneath our masks 
Into the furrows of our soul 
Who sees and knows
And does not seek
The price our world has asked

But stretches out an open hand 
To find hidden glitter in the gutters 
To let us know 
That whenever we are hidden 
Behind wars of words or weapons
Behind tales of economic growth or gloom
Behind powerlessness and politics 
Here too 
We are worth the pain 
Of names 
Carved deep into nail-scarred palms. 
And so I seek
With trusting hope
This my God
Who reaches out across time and space

Who fulfils in unexpected ways 
The hopes of days long past 
And the promise of a future not yet born.

No comments:

Post a Comment