Sunday 6 January 2019

On the twelfth day of Christmas

Living in Birmingham city centre we are surrounded by all things Christmas themed from about the end of October; but this year I certainly managed to feel thoroughly un-Christmassy until very close to the end of term. Partly that was an active choice: I am always keen to preserve a sense of Advent as a time of preparation and anticipation, partly it was just due to the busy-ness of everyday life filling my days with plenty to keep my mind firmly off the topic of the coming festivities.

It was worth the wait, and I feel I have been able to enjoy the Christmas Season to the full. Amidst the time at home and the time way, the time with others and the time out, there has been plenty of good food, a host of fun things to do, and a whole lot of joy and laughter. A series of parties and celebrations at work and at home, a not-quite-impromptu pantomime, time spent with family in all its variations, and with friends, Christmas dinner for twelve, heartfelt words and gifts, silly games, just the right amount of dancing, conversations ranging from the silly to the serious, challenges set for the year ahead, all rounded off this afternoon with ice skating without any broken bones.








Above all, throughout, it has been something I have lived as a shared experience with many of those who matter to me. I know I am extremely blessed to be surrounded by so many amazing people who make my life richer: thank you to everyone who is part of the adventure!

Now the cards have all been written (and mostly posted), the decorations have come down, the living room is emptier (and tidier) than it has been for a while and 'normality' is ready to resume. Activities will be resumed, new developments await: but I begin with my heart refreshed and refilled by so much love given and received this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment