Wednesday 4 January 2023

2022 Highlights

One of our conversations on New Year's eve evening, prior to the street erupting into slightly bonkers fireworks, was about looking back on the significant moments of the year. It didn't take long for me to realise that choosing one highlight of the year would be impossible because there was really quite a lot of competition.

Obviously, there have also been challenges along the way: I wouldn't have chosen to have my first brush with covid, there were very mixed feelings as I walked away from Carrs Lane, and it has certainly been hard at times to find signs of hope in the global and national political landscape. Plus, of course, quite a lot of mundanity in the mix too, including a constant refrain of not being as on top of admin and emails as I would ideally like to be! 

But here are a few of the things that immediately spring to mind that have been very special this year:

  • The incredible privilege of being present at the births of two babies, an experience I will certainly never forget; and the ongoing privilege of watching them both grow and change, as well as becoming Godparent to one of them.  
  • An absolutely amazing trip to Morocco and a wonderful wedding celebration: I know I am incredibly blessed to be invited into experiences such as these. It was also my first trip abroad for quite some time, and first time in Africa ever.
  • There were also very enjoyable trips much closer to home: back to walking (part of) pilgrim cross after two years of only seeing these people in zoom squares, a lovely holiday in Wales, a beautiful 'festival of friendship' in Kintbury plus a few other trips and visits.
  • A housewarming party bringing together people from all over the world and from different parts of my life. Plus lots of other gatherings, parties and cultural celebrations: these spaces where community is created and strengthened mean so much to me.
  • Sharing in the news that a couple of friends who have been waiting a very, very long time were finally granted right to remain ending years of uncertainty and allowing them to get on with rebuilding their lives. There have been other good news stories I have been privileged to be part of too, most notably the little thrill every time a newly arrived child gets a school place.
  • Performing with the Stories group and Welsh National Opera on the main stage at the REP to an audience of 500 school children was an incredible experience. There were other smaller performances through the year, including rounding off just before Christmas with the hilarity of panto.
  • Being selected to carry the commonwealth baton, which despite my ambivalence about the commonwealth and its history, felt like quite an honour, and while I obviously don't do what I do for the recognition, I can't deny I appreciated the affirmation.
  • Planned and impromptu visits from friends, some of whom I hadn't seen for a long time: after two years in which seeing friends was so severely restricted, I hope I never again take this for granted.
  • Moving house (again) and settling in to a place I hope to be able to call home for the foreseeable future.

And perhaps most of all, in those times and in between times, all the many reminders that I am deeply loved and privileged to be surrounded by so many different wonderful people who are part of my life. Thank you to everyone who continues to journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment