Friday 31 March 2023

Re-prioritising prayer

For nine years, during my time at Carrs Lane and slightly beyond it, I was committed to a routine of public prayer; in person and later online. In fact, for much longer, because our time in the Philippines was certainly rhythmed around prayer, and to a lesser extent there was a culture of daily reflection time at Corrymeela. Further back, in the privacy of our own home, we had also tried to instil such a rhythm to shape our days. 

And every day, I showed up. Of course there were interruptions and odd occasions where I couldn't but generally, day after day, I showed up. I put myself intentionally in that space. I paused to be still. 

And I knew, as I have written about here more than once, it mattered. 

With varying degrees of success, I found a rhythm that worked towards the end of last year, but thus far in 2023, it is something I have failed to really re-establish. And while I couldn't pinpoint, on any given day, exactly how; over time, I think I am feeling the effects. I think it is a factor in feeling more drawn into and dragged down by the enormity of the world's problems. I think it is a factor in finding it harder to let go of the things I cannot do and in getting the right balance of those I can.  

And so I am reminding myself that waking up to prayer is infinitely better than waking up to a rather depressing twitter feed and an email inbox I never feel fully on top of! The importance of good company and of laughter I wrote about in my previous post are parts of the solution. This is the other bit.

Some people will have made Lenten commitments which are now drawing to an end. I didn't this year, but I am making an Easter one. I am away for the next week, walking Pilgrim Cross, which will be a valuable breathing space, and on my return I am reprioritising prayer. Not at the expense of anything else, quite the contrary. I believe it will help me reprioritise everything else as well. I believe it will help me be the best possible version of the person I am trying to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment