Thursday 6 July 2023

The Meaning of Life

I turned 42 last weekend and obviously, in a joke entirely lost on anyone unfamiliar with the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, that meant I had arrived at the point in life when I would have the answer to life, the universe and everything. Given how messed up the world seems to be right now, having all the answers definitely has a certain appeal! 

I had a bit of a cold and hadn't slept well on Saturday night. In some ways, what I wanted / needed on Sunday was a quiet day at home doing not very much: but it was also my birthday and obviously, much more than that, what I really wanted to do was surround myself with some of the many people I love and value and by whom I am loved and valued.

I had put out an invitation to a picnic in the park. Despite being organised at fairly short notice and the slightly menacing grey skies and cool edge to the air, over 50 people came along to share in a wonderful afternoon. I brought quiche and cake and picnic blankets and bin bags. Others brought contributions too. There was an amazing spread of food.  

The youngest person was about six weeks old, the oldest over seventy. There were people I've known my whole life, literally, and people I've known only a few weeks or months. There were, as someone else commented "the united nations of Birmingham", a gathering of friends from just round the corner and from all over the world.  

There were people from lots of different parts of my life. There were good friends spending time together, reunions of friends who hadn't seen each other for a good while, and people chatting to each other who had never met before and whose paths may never cross again. There were people who popped in briefly and people who stayed several hours. There were kids who had to be convinced to eventually go home.  

There were frisbees and bubbles and chalk pictures on the pavement. There was energy and life and colour. There was laughter and fun. There were some more serious conversations happening too.

There was food being shared and so much cake. There were very few leftovers. There were, just about, lighted candles sheltered from the wind. There was no rain.

And that was how I spent the day I turned 42. As I looked around the park, my heart was full. I could think of no better way to spend the day. I definitely don't have all the answers. But I do have some of them. 

I may not have found the meaning of life, the universe and everything, but I never really believed 42 would suddenly give me that anyway! 

On the other hand, I certainly think I have found a meaning for my life. It looks like this.

And, on balance, I think I'll settle for that.



1 comment:

  1. I still don't have the answer to everything, even at my great age - and, of course, no-one ever does.
    However, celebrating with family and friends must be as good a way as any to mark any birthday milestone and I was pleased to share it with you (and about 50 others!) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete