Tuesday 10 October 2023

September: Exploring Film

Generally, I don't watch many films (or much TV), although in recent months I have done so perhaps more than in the past. When I do, I tend to turn to animated kids films or gentle comedy. As far as I recall, the last film I watched that I chose for myself was Fisherman's Friends, which gives you a sense of the kind of thing I'd usually go for.  

But recently I've been watching quite a few different films with a friend who has introduced me to various ones I probably wouldn't ever have watched (and some I might have actively avoided) without his introduction and encouragement. 

None have been the light and fluffy fare I usually stick to. But I have enjoyed all of them or, if in some cases enjoyed isn't exactly the right word somehow, I am glad to have watched them. 

In the past six weeks or so I have watched: AI, Never Let Me Go, Flatliners, The Butterfly Effect, The Whale, Triangle, Parasite, Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, The Hours, The Fountain, Black Swan

In many ways they are quite different to each other: they certainly wouldn't all sit within the same genre, although I suspect some would defy easy categorisation. What they have in common is that they all, in very different ways, deal with complex themes and pose interesting questions. They all wrestle with trying to understand what it means to be human. They have all made me think.

I have long trusted in the possibility of fiction revealing deep truths about who we are. I have read many books which explore the complexities of life and relationships. I guess it should be no surprise that film is able to do the same. 

It has been a lesson that I should perhaps be more brave in my film choices: I am open to recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment