Sunday 24 February 2019

Scarred

My work at the Sanctuary often brings me great joy. It is a privilege to witness the human capacity for hope, and to be surrounded by gestures of sharing, compassion and welcome.

But there are also times when the suffering of the world leaves me feeling exhausted, frustrated and deeply, deeply sad. There are times when I am ashamed of my country's hostile response to the desperate suffering of those who come pleading for help.

There are times where I feel I can make a tangible difference to people's lives. There are times where I know that I can't: when all I can offer is an apology for my country's failings and possibly a hug which might or might not soften the blow.

There is a very fine balance between the necessary resilience of self-care and the risk of becoming hardened or indifferent to the realities of everyday tragedies.

It is so very easy to be overwhelmed by the enormity of the injustices that surround us and by the seeming impermeability of the systems and structures we have created to protect ourselves from the vulnerability of real human relationships with those beyond our immediate circle. But it is always the individual stories, even those which are very hard to hear, which remind me something of the value of our human lives, and which teach me that our own humanity is irrevocably scarred if we ignore the humanity of the other. Inevitably, some stories, some people somehow effect me more deeply than others; there isn't always a rational logic as to which ones and why.

These moments of encounter pierce my protective shell and enable both laughter, and tears, to well up inside. I hope they always will.

I will be for ever indebted to those who are helping me to learn what it means to be fully human and fully alive.

She arrived to this
Much-vaunted civilisation
Bastion of freedom and democracy

A promised land

Of barbed wire and locked doors
Of detention and deprivation
Of hostility and suspicion

Her tired, shattered body
Confined for the crime
Of believing she had the right
To life

A life
Still mired in memories
Of love and loss
But which dares to dream
Of the healing of aching anguish
And of wings of freedom

We are all
The sum of our stories
The confused and disjointed
The incomplete and incoherent
The wretchedly real

But we took her scarred body
And we refused to believe

After all she has known
It is this
The lack of faith
In her humanity
Which slowly scars her soul

Wings of freedom
Clipped and crumpled
By a system designed to devastate

And yet
Threatened and hesitant
Still she tries
To smile through the tears

Clinging, by fragile finger-tips
To hope
And stretching out
Those beautiful, broken wings

Wondering

Where can I go?

No comments:

Post a Comment