Wednesday 24 March 2021

Of asylum reform

I don't often let twitter make me cry.

But today the Home Secretary unveils her overhaul of the asylum system. I am spending too much of the day scrolling through twitter and feeling depressed about the state of our nation. I guess there is some light relief from the fact that bumbling around in my echo chamber means that in amongst the sharing of the government's horrendous policy suggestions are the shoots of opposition and resistance.  

I would be the first to acknowledge that it is a system in need of an overhaul. The first to suggest it needs to be made fairer and more humane.

Despite the posturing, these proposals are neither of those things. Please do not be misled by the framing of being compassionate and welcoming to "legal refugees", please do not be sucked into the good immigrant / bad immigrant narrative.

The discourse, and its popularity, is deeply disturbing and all of us, not only those who have the privilege to be actively engaged with those seeking sanctuary should be worried by the direction it takes us. Coupled with the dismantling of our rights to disagree and protest, I fear we are heading towards dark and dangerous times. 

There is so much to say on this subject. And yet, mostly, right now, I have no words.

Except to say this:

These people of whom she speaks are those who have immeasurably enriched my existence. They are my community. They are my friends. 

Today they are being told that they, and those who come after them are a little less welcome, a little less safe.

I am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment