Thursday 30 March 2023

Just the weekend I needed

I have always aspired for this blog to be a relatively honest reflection of life: not the sugar-coated version of reality that social media so often unhelpfully presents. So in that spirit I admit, last week had some tough moments where I felt distinctly disheartened about the state of the world (or more specifically, British politics around the issue of migration).

It probably didn't help that due to the Birmingham bus strikes, I spent more time at home than I usually would. I do like having my own space and generally quite enjoy my own company but I am definitely an extrovert and I probably had too many days with too little people time; and while I had plenty I should have been getting on with, that meant I had lots of time to read, watch and listen to analysis about the government's new anti-refugee plans. It feels important to keep abreast of these things and many of those whose analysis I was following shared my perspectives on the subject, but nonetheless, too much of it can get a little draining after a while. I know only too well the impact of these repeated, hostile announcements on people I care about very much. I am also well aware of the risk of the knock-on impact on me.   

I'm not always very good at accepting or acknowledging when I am finding things difficult, but I admit, parts of Thursday, particularly, were really quite hard. However, in the afternoon I went out for a walk in the sunshine and then a friend called round, both of which definitely helped perk me back up.

And then it was Friday. There were still no buses but I hadn't entirely put life on hold. While the meeting I was supposed to be going to ended up being a slightly abortive trip, a combination of limited transport options and deliberate choice meant it involved two decent length walks in fairly attractive parts of the city: mostly in bright spring sunshine and managing, fortunately, to completely avoid the worst downpours. I also met up with three different people for a cup of tea, delicious lunch, a walk and curry for dinner respectively, all of whom are people whose company I value, and I appreciated the chance to chat and catch-up. It was just what I needed. 

It had long been on the calendar that my mum was coming to visit at the weekend. Mutual friends also came round on Saturday afternoon and the house was full of conversation and noise and mess: exactly how I like it. In the evening we were at the Hippodrome for the live show of 'I'm Sorry I haven't a clue' which was exactly the sort of clever silliness anyone who knows the show would expect and I laughed all evening (and got a free kazoo, what's not to love!). It would have been hard to find a better tonic. It was a late-ish night followed be a lazy morning, and then out for lunch with my sister and her partner who were also in Brum for the weekend. By the time I got home mid-afternoon, apart from a few bus tickets to sort for another week of school, the laid back feel continued, and I even finished off a jigsaw puzzle. 

For three days, I mostly didn't scroll through twitter, I mostly talked about things other than politics (and when I did, those conversations were supportive and helpful), I mostly switched off. I spent time with people I value, who probably had no idea how much their company boosted my spirits. And thus it was that I was back ready to face another week. The news hasn't got any more upbeat; the struggles I watch some of my dearest friends experience haven't become any easier ... but it'll take more than a particularly evil Home Secretary to crush me.

No comments:

Post a Comment