During Greenbelt this year, which I wrote about previously, one of the things I did was attend a couple of poetry workshops. The results were a few scribbled notes, most of which are unlikely to come to much but this is something I started during one of the exercises, which I have come back to play with and 'finish off' (is poetry ever finished?) since.
The task was to write a poem using only words of one syllable, a rule I mostly followed, but as I often tell people, the beauty of poetry is that rules are made to be broken, so look out for the two syllable word at the end!
---
That stretch my whole self
Words that speak
not just to my mind
But dig deep
To my heart,
My soul,
Words that breathe
To the core of who I am
Words that breathe
To the core of who I am
And who I am meant to be.
There are words
That dare to make me see
A new me
That break through all I thought I knew
To be true
Words that give a chance
To build, to change
To live,
There are words
That dare to make me see
A new me
That break through all I thought I knew
To be true
Words that give a chance
To build, to change
To live,
To be
There are words
That reach out
Through time and space
From a place
I have not been
Where one day
I will go
There are words
That reach out
Through time and space
From a place
I have not been
Where one day
I will go
or I will not
There are words
That sing and dance and shout and play
Each day
Words that call me
That sing and dance and shout and play
Each day
Words that call me
To hope
To dream
To dream
To fly
Words that tell me
Words that tell me
To be free
All these days
So much to say
And yet
I'm not sure why
All these days
So much to say
And yet
I'm not sure why
A strange hush falls
There are words
That are trapped
On tips of tongues
That will not flow
From pen to page.
There are words
That are trapped
On tips of tongues
That will not flow
From pen to page.
There are words
And there is
Silence.
No comments:
Post a Comment