Friday 30 March 2012

7 last words

My plan was to put this poem up next Friday but I have now almost finished writing another poem, also on a Good Friday related theme, and thought two in one day would be excessive, so have brought this one forward a week: which seemed more appropriate than delaying it and putting it up during the Easter season.

The Philippines is famous for its Holy Week commemorations, particularly people nailing themselves to crosses although that only happens in one place, and nowhere near Cebu, so that's one cultural experience we won't be taking part in. It remains to be seen how Holy Week will be celebrated here, although so far Lent has been remarkable only by how unremarkable it has been. Other than purple stoles and no meat on Fridays, (and as we often eat fish anyway that's hardly worthy of much note), there has been little to mark out lent from the rest of the year .. but we shall see what this week brings.

Anyway, a few fruits of my own Lenten reflections:

Father forgive them, they do not know what they are doing

Do they know?
This pain inflicted
Not with nails
But with oppressive domination
Do they know?
Their violence
Cannot silence the voice of love

In truth I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise

Where am I going?
to death
Or new life
Where is this paradise?
Is it as you expect?
It is here on this cross
Journey with me

Woman this is your son. This is your mother.

Open your doors
Open your hearts
One to another
Be a family
Be my family
Be one
Share my love

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me

Alone and abandoned
Only I can live this moment
Only I can die this moment
Not forsaken
But dying to this world
Dying as humanity
Dying as God

I am thirsty

I thirst
In the depths of my humanity
I thirst
Not for the bitter wine of my pain
I thirst
For the living water
Of love outpoured

It is fulfilled

Is this what the promises promised?
Is this what the prophets saw?
Is this what you sought when you followed?
It is the only way
Fulfilment found
In love
To the point of death

Father, into your hands I commend my spirit

I give my spirit
I give my all
Offered to the world
Offered to the hands of God
Offered in love
Take what I offer
I say no more

And you
What will you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment