Friday 1 January 2021

When I came in from the year

For Christmas I received Kate Clanchy's book "How to Grow your own Poem". I haven't read it all yet, in fact, I have barely dipped into the beginning of it. I guess it is not a book to be read at one sitting, or read only once. Already I can tell her ideas about writing poetry resonate closely with my own.

The basic premise of much of the book seems to be one I have used often as a teacher ... to take an existing poem as a model, and make it your own. So this, my first poem of a new year is inspired, at least in part, by her, and (very, very loosely) by Edip Cansever's poem "The Table" 

When I came in from the year
And took it off
I did try
To hang 2020 on its peg
As I should
The latest in a neat, long line

But
Somehow
It missed
And fell to lie
Crumpled on the floor
In a heap

And I found
I scarcely had the energy
Even
To lean down
And pick it up
And shake it out
And put it in its place

And yet if I had
Hung it 
As I should
Perhaps you would
Only ever see
The smooth
Drab
Outerside

But from
Its heap on the floor
We saw
Glimpses
Of its lining

And some
It is true
Is dull and grey and practical
And heavy
Very heavy

But
Someone, somehow, at some point
Had also stitched
An inner
Patchwork
Layer
Too

Multi-coloured
Many hued

And in that crumpled heap
That I
barely wanted to reach down and touch and shake out and hang up

That
Too
was visible

Each bright, mismatched remnant
Each vivid, tattered scrap

The course roughness
And the silken smooth

An unplanned jumble
With frayed edges
As patchwork
Perhaps was meant to be
Before it became
Some neatly crafted art

And each vibrant-coloured snippet of memory

Held together
By fine, silver threads
Which
For all their apparent fragility
Would not
Could not
Did not
Break

So when I do
In fact
Dig deep
Lean down
Pick up
The coat

I think
This time
This one
This year
I’ll hang it
Inside out

Happy New Year! 

1 comment: