Wednesday 13 January 2021

Everyday Goals

I am not really one for making new year's resolutions. This year, even more so.

Equally I think there is a place for looking back and looking forward: for thinking about what will help make the year ahead, despite its challenges, as full of life as possible.

This year I have written myself a list of "everyday goals" and posted it on my bedroom wall. 

  • Write something
  • Pray
  • Go outdoors
  • Do something creative
  • Have intentional non-screen time
  • Connect with friends or family
  • Read something
  • Complete a task
  • Be thankful

I haven't written it to put myself under more pressure. I am not necessarily expecting or even intending to fulfil all of these everyday goals every day. That isn't the point. Nor is it an exhaustive list ... of course there are other things that bring me joy too.  

But they are the fruit of reflecting on what are the things that, when I consciously set aside time to slot them into my days, bring me satisfaction and joy. And they are all achievable, even during lockdown, and they are all within my control, not reliant on anything or anyone beyond myself. 

Posting them on my wall is a visual reminder to stop and make time for these things which I know bring me life, to try to hold them in balance with each other and the other things that I know I have to do.

So far, so good. (And yes, I know there's a lot of the year still to run, but I see no harm in celebrating small victories!)

No comments:

Post a Comment